[jcifs] problem with java applet needing NTLM proxy authentication

André Warnier aw at ice-sa.com
Wed Mar 11 17:22:35 GMT 2009

John.Baker at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> I don't think you can get access to the browser's JS session unless you sign the applet.  You could of course pass everything you want as parameters to the applet.

I do that.  The applet is signed, and that part works fine.  The applet
does pick up stuff from the input boxes of the html form it's located
in, through javascript-java interface (I forget what it is formally called).
The applet also accesses the browser's proxy configuration, to figure
out what proxy it should be going through with its own POSTs. That was
not intuitive to find out and do, but it also works fine.

The part that I want to find out now however, is how (if possible at
all) the applet can get access to the (pre-existing) browser's NTLM
credentials, and how it can use them to set its own credentials for the
POST it wants to do.
That's where I am stuck and have no clear idea about where to even look.