[jcifs] JCIFS and Connection TimeOut exception..Please help

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 05:17:56 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Ram Chavali <rchavali at vmware.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I need to discover all windows groups/Domains and computers  from linux box. I assume I can also use 'SmbTree' command. But, i think either SmbTree internally uses NetBios Session service.(Please let me know if I am wrong). With this network is there any other way I can use JCIFS to get the results.

JCIFS isn't good for that. If you're using Java, the best option at
the moment is to use JNDI to query AD using LDAP. Using DCERPC calls
is probably a little more consistent with what Windows does to acquire
that information but JNDI will do the job just fine.

If you don't need Java specifically, you could probably use
"rpcclient" from Samba (although technically I think rpcclient is
known to be insecure).

Java Active Directory Integration