[jcifs] Possible to set properties for each server?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:39:54 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Thomas Fromm<tf at inubit.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 June 2009 08:02, Michael B Allen wrote:
>> If your Windows clients allow plaintext passwords you might as well
>> just enable plain text passwords in JCIFS all the time. Note that just
>> because you enable plaintext passwords in JCIFS doesn't mean plaintext
>> passwords will be used. It's something that is negotiated by the
>> server.
>
> Can I force the use of plain text passwords?
>
> I have problems to login into an linux services, which uses PAM.
> (for windows clients I need to configure this explicit by setting the use of
> an unencrypted passwort for 3rd party smb servers)

No, I don't think you can force JCIFS to initiate the use of plain
text passwords.

But you don't need to. If the server does not use encrypted passwords,
it will indicate so and provided that
jcifs.smb.client.disablePlainTextPasswords=false JCIFS should work
with servers that support both encrypted and plain text passwords.

Perhaps plaintext passwords are broken? I seem to recall that feature
was broken at some point (although the code looks intact at the
moment) and I have not tested it in many years.

I still don't understand what the problem is ...

Java Active Directory Integration