[jcifs] JCIFS minus NetBIOS

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:28:30 GMT 2009

[redirecting back to jcifs list]

The capture shows JCIFS successfully connect to port 445 but then it
tries to do a reverse lookup of the server.

Are you using an IP address in the SMB URL?

JCIFS needs a name to connect. If you supply only an IP address it
will try to do an NBTSTAT to figure out the name (which is wrong and I
have made a note in the TODO to stop that behavior). Try to use a
fully qualified DNS hostname in the URL instead.

If that is not the problem, please post your JCIFS properties.

Mike

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Yogesh K Shukla <yshukla at lexmark.com> wrote:

> Mike, I am using jcifs 1.3.10. I have added only DNS to the jcifs.resolveOrder. If I turn off NetBIOS over TCP on the windows share (on WinXP box), I am unable to reach it from my jcifs client. I have verified that the port 445 is open. I have attached the network capture below. I do not know if this means there is something wrong with my configuration. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Yogesh Shukla<yshukla at lexmark.com> wrote:
> > I was wondering whether JCIFS needs NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled to work? If not
> > how can I get JCIFS to work without NetBIOS?
>
> JCIFS does not use NetBIOS by default. JCIFS only uses the NetBIOS
> session service if it tries port 445 and it is unavailable in which
> case it will fall back to potr 139. JCIFS will only use NetBIOS name
> resolution if it tries DNS and it cannot resolve the name and BCAST or
> WINS is in jcifs.resolveOrder in which case it will try those
> services.
>
> Mike

Java Active Directory Integration