[jcifs] NTLMv2 and DFS referrals

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 17:27:53 MDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Darren Taft<daztop at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response as usual Mike.  I'll directly message you with a log of what happens, as well as the source code I use to reproduce the problem - it's a cut down version of what I have on live.

I received your log and ListFiles.java.

The primary issue is probably that the hostname used in the SMB URL is
not a fully qualified DNS domain name.

But I would need a packet capture to verify that the referral is
failing because of this. I'm not sure if NetBIOS names are valid
domain-based DFS domain names.

If the target is a stand-alone DFS volume, then in theory this should
work assuming you have the right properties set but again I would need
a capture to really look at this seriously.

Also, you do not need to modify ListFiles. The first commandline
argument is the SMB URL.

Finally, you might want to try the same path from a Windows
workstation. As a general rule, if you can show something work with a
vanilla Windows client but fail with JCIFS, then provide captures of
equivalent operations and I will compare and fix. As Forrest Gump
would say, "JCIFS is as Windows does".

But my guess is you're not finding domain-based DFS roots because
you're not using a DNS domain name. You're using a NetBIOS domain
name.

Java Active Directory Integration