FW: [jcifs] NTLM authentication

Clapham, Paul pclapham at core-mark.com
Thu Apr 23 21:28:52 GMT 2009

If I understand it correctly, Sun has a licence from Microsoft to use the NTLM algorithms, but only on Windows machines. So Sun's Windows JVM will work with NTLM-based proxy servers but JVMs on non-Windows platforms won't. (That was why I had to search out a proxy server which did know how to use NTLM on my behalf.)

The natural place to fix your problem would be inside the Apache HttpClient library, but you and the HttpClient committers won't be able to get your hands on the official NTLM documents or on a licence to implement NTLM authentication, I don't think.

PC2