[jcifs] alt. jcifs auth mechanism impl.

Memisyazici, Aras arasm at vt.edu
Mon Oct 13 18:43:55 GMT 2008

Hello List:

I am trying to determine whether or not implementing jCIFS into our
environment at our department-level will be a viable solution. As such,
we have a few requirements that any/all similar projects have to meet:

a) they have to support SMB signing
b) we will not implement WINS
c) Either of these 3 for AUTH are supported: Kerberosv5, NTLMv2 or LDAPS

Reviewing the documentation on the site, shows samples of configs for
non-WINS environments, also there is some verbage stating jCIFS
supporting SMB signing as long as configured properly... The pickle is
regarding the NTLMv2 auth piece... site specifically states that this
protocol is not supported, however on the mainpage there are some
"hints" that KERBv5 and LDAP/S are "possibilities"

Has anyone implemented jCIFS successfully with either of those as the
auth mechanism? If so, would you mind sharing your experiences with the
current setup you have? How successful is/was the implementation? How
many users are you able to support? How many simulatenous sessions
(successfully)?

Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing some form of "doc/wiki/url/..." that
has notes/steps on how you went about implementing the alternative auth
mechanism would be much appreciated as well :)

Looking forward to responses and TIA!

Sincerely,

Aras "Russ" Memisyazici
Systems Administrator