[jcifs] RE: NtlmHttpFilter - no route to host exception

Travaglini, Joseph Joseph.Travaglini at FMR.com
Thu Nov 13 20:08:02 GMT 2008

Hello,
I have not, no, as I hadn't been seeing this problem in the past, and
I'm not convinced that it is specific to a JCIFS version and not the
network configuration here.

I reviewed the JCIFS change logs and didn't see anything obvious about
improvements in the socket layer for session initiation and negotiation.

Is there something in particular you are aware of that has been fixed?

Thanks for your reply.

-----Original Message-----
From: scheideckerantunes at GMAIL.COM [mailto:scheideckerantunes at GMAIL.COM]

Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:41 PM
To: Travaglini, Joseph
Subject: NtlmHttpFilter - no route to host exception

Hi Joe,

Have you tried the new 1.3.0 yet?

joe.trav wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I have been using the JCIFS NtlmHttpFilter for well over a year for
> Integrated Windows Authentication, and it has been serving the purpose
> quite well.
>

>   In a particular application I am using, I have recently sometimes
seen
> a "NoRouteToHostException" (stack trace below).  A browser refresh
> solves the issue, but I am seeing it several times a day for the past
> few weeks, and haven't seen it in the past.  It's happening frequently
> enough to enough users to be an annoyance.
>

>   I have written the cause of this off as a network error (routing
> and/or DNS), but I figured I'd bounce this off the group to see if
> anything else might be going on.
>

>   I'm using JCIFS 1.2.19 in this current scenario against Apache 2.2
and
> Tomcat 6 with mod_jk...
>

> Here's the servlet config: - SERVER is an Active Directory array with
64
> individual domain controllers behind it.
>
> <filter>
>
>             <filter-name>NtlmFilter</filter-name>
>
>             <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
>
>         <init-param>
>
>           <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>
>
>           <param-value>SERVER.fmr.com</param-value>
>
>         </init-param>
>
>         <init-param>
>
>           <param-name>jcifs.resolveOrder</param-name>
>
>           <param-value>DNS</param-value>
>
>         </init-param>
>
>     </filter>
>

> And the stack dump:
>
> *         Stack Trace:
>
> o    jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.connect(SmbTransport.java:292)
>
> o    jcifs.smb.SmbSession.getChallenge(SmbSession.java:146)
>
> o    jcifs.smb.SmbSession.getChallenge(SmbSession.java:140)
>
> o    jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.negotiate(NtlmHttpFilter.java:157)
>
> o    jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:114)

> tionFilterChain.java:235)

> erChain.java:206)

> e.java:233)

> e.java:175)

> :128)

> :102)

> java:109)

org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:2
> 86)

org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProcessor.process(AjpAprProcessor.java:419)

org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol$AjpConnectionHandler.process(AjpApr
> Protocol.java:378)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$Worker.run(AprEndpoint.java:1509)

> o    java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
>
> *         jcifs.smb.SmbException
jcifs.util.transport.TransportException
> java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method) at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333) at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195) at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182) at
> java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366) at
> java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:519) at
> java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:469) at
> java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:366) at
> java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:180) at
> jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.ssn139(SmbTransport.java:181) at
> jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.negotiate(SmbTransport.java:240) at
> jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.doConnect(SmbTransport.java:308) at
> jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:240) at
> java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619) at
> jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:256) at
> java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
>

> Any help is appreciated - even if it's confirmation that my hunch
about
> network errors are accurate.
>

> Thanks

Quoted from: