[jcifs] Re: jcifs-1.2.20 released / DFS Cache Bugfix

dion gillard dion at trongus.com
Thu May 29 00:17:07 GMT 2008

Michael B Allen <ioplex <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The DFS cache was not properly synchronized. This has been fixed. The
> trusted domains are now looked up with <1C> NetBIOS lookups to speed
> discovery.
>
> Thanks to Ronny S. for reporting these issues.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

1.2.20 introduced a bug in jcifs.Config on line 71.

Please note the following static initializer in that class:

"static {
        String filename;
        int level;
        FileInputStream in = null;

        log = LogStream.getInstance();

        try {
            filename = System.getProperty( "jcifs.properties" );
            if( filename != null && filename.length() > 1 ) {
                in = new FileInputStream( filename );
            }
            Config.load( in );
            in.close();
        } catch( IOException ioe ) {
            if( log.level > 0 )
                ioe.printStackTrace( log );
        }
..."

Note in the try block that the input stream (variable "in") is possibly null
when the "in.close()" call is null.

This has caused an NPE when using 1.2.20. 1.2.19 is fine and we've rolled back
to that version.

Please let me know if/where I should file a bug report.

Thanks
dIon