[jcifs] NotSerializableException: jcifs.UniAddress when using jCIFS

Giampaolo Tomassoni Giampaolo at Tomassoni.biz
Fri May 23 15:21:39 GMT 2008

The class jcifs.UniAddress doesn't implement the java.io. Serializable
interface, this is the reason of the warning you get.

You could change the declaration of class UniAddress in order to make it
implement the Serializable interface. As long as you are instantiating
UniAddress only with InetAddress "addr"s, you will probably avoid this
warning this way.

Giampaolo

From: jcifs-bounces+giampaolo=tomassoni.biz at lists.samba.org
[mailto:jcifs-bounces+giampaolo=tomassoni.biz at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of
Robert Baldock
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:19 PM
To: jcifs at lists.samba.org
Subject: [jcifs] NotSerializableException: jcifs.UniAddress when using jCIFS

Hi -

I'm a new member on this list.

I'm trying to get NTLM SSO working using a jCIFS filter in a web-app but,
amongst other things, am seeing this error in my app server's logs:

WARNING! An attribute was set in the session that cannot serialize. Most
application servers replicate the session using object serialization.
NtlmChallenge[challenge=aaa,dc=xxx<1C>/yyy]
java.io.NotSerializableException: jcifs.UniAddress
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1075)
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteFields(ObjectOutputStream.java:1369)
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:1341)
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1284)
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1073)
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:291)
        at
com.vignette.portal.website.internal.HttpSessionWrapper.setAttribute(HttpSes
sionWrapper.java:100)
        at jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.negotiate(NtlmHttpFilter.java:151)
        at jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:114)

It's flagged as a "WARNING" but I would like to eliminate this as a possible
cause of the issues I'm trying to resolve.

Does anyone know of a workaround/fix for this issue?

I'm using jCIFS 1.2.19.

Robert Baldock