[jcifs] jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Robert Drescher robert.drescher at gmail.com
Thu May 15 11:16:34 GMT 2008

I'm having a relatively simple question which is bothering me:

I have a NAS using smb for its fileshares and created a smb user called
diskovery with pass disk01 (it's a weak pass, i know, but it's for testing
purposes).
This user has access permission for his share "video" on the NAS, which has
the creative hostname "storage".
In smb.conf, the option "encrypt passwords" is set to yes, otherwise
authentification with windows fails.

Using the windows "map network drive" i can now add the share
\\storage\video <file://storage/video> using the "logon as different user"
with credentials diskovery:disk01

When I try to open this share with jcifs using
new jcifs.smb.SmbFile("smb://diskovery:disk01@storage/video/");
I get the Exception "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password".
Strangely enough, even though guest access on this share is allowed, when i
provide no credentials i get the exception "The specified network password
is not correct".

Any ideas why I'm experiencing this problems?

Best wishes and thanks in advance
Robert