[jcifs] NTLM and Firefox

Matt Parker parkerman at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:01:06 GMT 2008

I didn't see a specific way to contact anyone about updating the
documentation, so I hope this is the right place to post this. Forgive
me if not.

http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html, "Transparent
Authentication and the Network Password Dialog" states:

"Only Internet Explorer will negotiate NTLM HTTP authentication
transparently. Mozilla will always prompt the user for credentials
(someone please notify us when/if this is not true anymore). At the
time this FAQ was written it was not known which other browsers, if
any, can negotiate NTLM HTTP authenication transparently." (sic)

Firefox will also work (at least on windows, i haven't tried others as of yet):

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netlib/integrated-auth.html

Regards,

Matt