[jcifs] Performance Issue with jcifs-1.2.19 and higher

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 00:46:37 GMT 2008

On 5/29/08, Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:25 PM, rosed <rosed at lexmark.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > I'm seeing a pretty big performance hit when using jcifs-1.2.19 or higher
>  > with the ListFiles example.  Here are three test runs using 1.2.18, 1.2.19
>  > and 1.2.21:
>  >
>  > D:\JCIFS\jcifs_1.2.18\examples>java -classpath D:\eclipse\workspace\Test\thi
>  > rdParty\jcifs\jcifs-1.2.18.jar;. ListFiles smb://rosed:test@dr670/snf/
>  >  test/ users/
>  > 2 files in 6094ms
>

> This is almost certainly a name service lookup problem. I don't see a
>  properties file anyware in your command line so unless you modified
>  ListFiles.java I'd say you need to set WINS or tweak DNS to be more
>  forgiving about using unqualified hostnames. See our website. I think
>  there's an entire page about setting name service properties.

I've just noticed that with the DFS changes as of late, if you don't
have a domain environment, the failed trusted domains lookup code will
delay everything by ~6 seconds. Presumably virtually everyone is in a
domain environment but if by chance you're not (e.g. just testing
something on the local machine) this delay is pretty annoying. So I've
added a property which if set to true:

   jcifs.smb.client.dfs.disabled = true

will disable domain based DFS. The default value is false (DFS is
fully enabled).

PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO