[jcifs] jcifs.smb.SmbException: Incorrect function

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 18:51:38 GMT 2008

On 7/10/08, harald.preczek at bundesbank.de <harald.preczek at bundesbank.de> wrote:

>  Mike,
>
>  we've done a little debugging using Jcifs 1.2.21/1.2.22 and here is what we
>  found.
>
>  when we try to set up a connection with the NetApp-filer we receive an
>  error c0000002. according to the defined constants this means "not
>  implemented". the exception is thrown by the jcifs-method checkStatus.
>
>  It don't know wether this means the filer returns a status jcifs can't
>  handle or jcifs tried to use a function that's not implemented on the
>  filer.

Hi Harald,

The 0xc0000002 "Incorrect function" error means the NetApp basically
does not like the specific operation you are trying to perform. It
could be some flags or something that it doesn't like.

Please provide a minimal test program that fails with NetApp. Provided
I can reproduce the issue with the simulator here at my end I will fix
it asap.

Otherwise, as I said before, all of the examples run fine against the
simulator here so I need to know exactly what is failing.

>  we checked this with our own programs as well as with the geturl.java
>  example shipped with jcifs. the results ar always the same.

The GetURL.java example works fine against the simulator here:

$ java -Djcifs.properties=../user2.prp GetURL smb://na2.w.net/tmp/test/file.txt
$ cat ../user2.php
jcifs.smb.client.username=user2
jcifs.smb.client.password=pAsswOrd
jcifs.smb.client.domain=w.net
jcifs.resolveOrder=DNS,BCAST

Perhaps you should get a packet capture instead. If you're not sure
how to do that, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

I assume the NetApp server is a member of a Windows domain?

PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO