[jcifs] NullPointerException when trying to authenticate against domain name > 15 chars

Michael B Allen miallen at ioplex.com
Wed Feb 6 02:29:31 GMT 2008

This NPE is fixed in 1.2.18 to be released RSN.

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.getChallengeForDomain(SmbSession.java:109)
	at jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.negotiate(NtlmHttpFilter.java:150)
	at jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:114)
	at com.zylin.payback.app.servlet.AuthFilter.doFilter(AuthFilter.java:49)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFi

I changed the order of two lines in getChallengeForDomain that were createing a logical error when an UnknownHostException was thrown.

Mike

On Fri, 11 May 2007 12:08:16 -0400
Michael B Allen <mba2000 at ioplex.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:12:05 +0200
> "Øyvind Harboe" <oyvind.harboe at zylin.com> wrote:
>
> > On 4/22/07, Eric Glass <eric.glass at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The domain parameter was/is originally intended to be the
> > > NetBIOS-style domain (e.g. "MYDOMAIN") rather than the DNS-style (e.g.
> > > "mydomain.domain.com").  So trimming to 15 characters and uppercasing
> > > would make sense in that context.  Although from some previous
> > > experimentation I think everything works with DNS-style domain
> > > specified also, so you could probably just remove the trimming and see
> > > if it works.
> >
> > If it works, does it mean that jCIFS is broken? (Retesting is
> > non-trivial as it was at a
> > clients... but I hope to get around to it.)
>
> Well it shouldn't throw an exception. I'll add this to The List.
>
> Note that there's also a patch in the patches directory for doing JNDI
> lookups with the domainController property instead of WINS.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Michael B Allen
> PHP Active Directory Kerberos SSO