[jcifs] What is Pre Authentication in NTLM?

Asaf Mesika asaf.mesika at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:33:03 GMT 2008

Hi,

I've searched for information on Pre Authentication for NTLM and haven't a
found a decent explanation.

Can anyone explain this issue in detail?

*Background
*I first tackled the issue, when experiencing a problem: After one user has
logged on, no other user can log on (SmbException - Access denied).
Further investigation led me to find out that I had add three jcifs
properties, as the following document
<http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html#signing>explains:

-----[QUOTE]-------
SMB Signatures and Windows 2003 If the domain controller against which you
are authenticating clients requires SMB signatures (Windows 2003 does by
default), it is recommended that you provide init-parameters for the
jcifs.smb.client.{domain,username,password} properties to perform
"preauthentication" for each transport to a domain contoller so that a
proper SMB signing key can be generated.

-----[END QUOTE]-------

Apparently, our Windows 2003 demanded Pre-authentication.

I've started searching for knowledge regarding this pre-authentication in
NTLM, but found nothing substantial.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Asaf Mesika
WorkLight