[jcifs] Does the authentication/negotiation happen for each and every POST request in the same IE session.

Manoj Nair Manoj.Nair at symphonysv.com
Mon Aug 25 09:53:32 GMT 2008

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to the JCIFS. I have tried implementing JCIFS filter in
my web application which runs on a Tomcat server. Filter seems to be
working fine.  Now I have enabled the log and in the Tomcat console I
see authentication against domain controller is happening for every
request made from the same IE session. I see multiple messages like
"DOMAIN-NAME\USER successfully authenticated against DOMAIN-NAME<1C>/IP
ADDRESS"

In the website http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html I read
like the negotiation happens only for the initial request of session.

Also, I tried to debug the code and I understand every request invokes
the SmbSession.logon() method. Is this the expected behavior, or can I
do something to make the negotiation happening only for the Initial
request of a session? Please advise.

Here is my web.xml looks like. For security reason I have changed some
of the parameter values to ****.

    <filter>

                <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>

                <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>

                <param-value>*****</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>

                <param-value>*****</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>
<param-name>jcifs.smb.client.username</param-name>

                <param-value>****</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.password</param-name>

                <param-value>****</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.util.loglevel</param-name>

                <param-value>4</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.smb.lmCompatibility</param-name>

                <param-value>3</param-value>

                </init-param>

    </filter>

    <filter-mapping>

                <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>

                <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>

    </filter-mapping>

Thanks

Manoj

"This email and any files transmitted with it contain confidential, proprietary,
privileged information of Symphony Services Corp (India) Pvt. Ltd. and are intended
solely for the use of the recipient/s to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized
notifying, copying or distributing of this e-mail, directly or indirectly, and the
contents therein in full or part is prohibited by any entity who is not a recipient.
Any email received inadvertently or by mistake should be deleted by the entity who
is not a recipient thereof. You may be pleased to notify the sender immediately by
email and the email should be deleted from your system".