[jcifs] Does the authentication/negotiation happen for each and every POST request in the same IE session.

Manoj Nair manojm1979 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 07:16:50 GMT 2008

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to the JCIFS. I have tried implementing JCIFS filter in my
web application which runs on a Tomcat server. Filter seems to be working
fine.  Now I have enabled the log and in the Tomcat console I see
authentication against domain controller is happening for every request made
from the same IE session. I see multiple messages like "DOMAIN-NAME\USER
successfully authenticated against DOMAIN-NAME<1C>/IP ADDRESS"

In the website http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html I read like
the negotiation happens only for the initial request of session.

Is this the expected behavior, or can I do something to make the negotiation
happening only for the Initial request of a session?Please advise.

Here is my web.xml looks like. For security reason I have changed some of
the parameter values to ****.

    <filter>

                <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>

                <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>

                <param-value>*****</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>

                <param-value>*****</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>
<param-name>jcifs.smb.client.username</param-name>

                <param-value>****</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.password</param-name>

                <param-value>****</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.util.loglevel</param-name>

                <param-value>4</param-value>

                </init-param>

                <init-param>

                <param-name>jcifs.smb.lmCompatibility</param-name>

                <param-value>3</param-value>

                </init-param>

    </filter>

    <filter-mapping>

                <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>

                <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

Thanks
*Manoj *