[jcifs] jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter and POST

Robert Baldock robert.baldock at pfiks.com
Wed Aug 20 14:05:49 GMT 2008

Last month I asked about the use of the jcifs NTLM filter and POST
requests.

At that time I hadn't taken account of the information on the NTLM page
about HTTP POST and protecting sub-content:

http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html#post

And specifically the fact that you have to add a registry entry in order
for POST requests to work properly in IE.

Having made this change, the issues I have been seeing have gone away.

However, what is puzzling is that we only ever seemed to get these
errors for one URL path of a web-app.

In particular, we have deployed this filter against an instance of
Vignette Portal and never ran into any issues with POST requests in the
/portal/console context.  However, POST requests in /portal/site didn't
work until we made this registry change.

The filter has been configured to monitor everything in the /portal
webapp so I'm wondering whether anyone has any theories as to why this
registry entry is required for one URL path but not another.

Thanks.

Robert