[jcifs] "The network name cannot be found" after 30 seconds

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 18:09:19 GMT 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Paul Clapham <pclapham at core-mark.com> wrote:

> Yes, 1.2.25a works correctly. I suppose since you put "bug" in quotes,
> there's no point in reporting this to IBM as a bug?

It's not that important. There are many such quirks in various SMB
implementations.

It was the intent of early SMB developers that servers should accept
'A:' to further qualify the target is a filesystem resource and
Windows servers follow this behaviour which technically makes it a bug
in the iSeries SMB implementation.

However, apparently Windows clients never request 'A:' and always
supply the default '?????'. Because there are no CIFS protocol
standards, the general rule is that a Windows NT 5.x implementation is
the "standard" to follow. So by that reasoning it is also a bug in
JCIFS.

And since we fixed it in JCIFS, there's really no point in reporting it.

> By the way (nothing to do with this specific problem), when I unpack the zip
> file from the downloads area and open the index.html file from the docs
> directory in my browser, most of the links under the Developer Information
> heading refer to docs/src/docs/something, which doesn't exist in the zip
> file. Has been that way for several versions now.

That's the website which was never meant to be viewed locally.
Although you should be able to browse into the api/ directory locally.

Mike