[jcifs] Re: tomcat url unknown protocol: smb

Andreas Panagiotidis andrepan at ethz.ch
Wed Apr 16 18:55:45 GMT 2008

Dear Mike Allen,

thank you for the great FAQ (more a quick manual).
I somehow knew that contains the solution to my problem, somewhere.

I've just added in the Tomcat catalina.sh in the CLASSPATH the jar (I
put it in the CATALINA_HOME/lib)

That solved the problem. so , simple... and it was in the manual in
first place.

FAQ Answer to URL unknown protocol:

The jCIFS jar file is not in a suitable location. Even if the
java.protocol.handler.pkgs property is set successfully, the
java.net.URL class must then access the jcifs.smb.Handler class. But
if the jCIFS classes are loaded by a different class loader this
handler will not be found and again, you will get the "unknown
protocol: smb" exception. It is very common for servlet containers to
load classes from a class loader other than the System class loader.
Like the first scenario, the solution is to add the jCIFS jar file to
the container's CLASSPATH and not the WEB-INF/lib directory of the web
app.

I was missing to add it to the classpath.

http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/faq.html

Enjoy,

cheers!

Andreas Panagiotidis