[jcifs] Problem to mount read-only share from EMC fileserver

James Ytterstene james.ytterstene at mdh.se
Tue Apr 15 13:48:50 GMT 2008

Hello

I try to use jcifs to mount a share from our EMC Celerra NAS gateway. The
user who is trying to mount has read-only access on share level. I then get
a Access is denied when I try to list the files on that share.
If I add more share permissions (execute) the mount works perfekt and I can
list the files.
If I make the same test against a Windows 2003 R2 server I can mount the
share and list the files, so there is some difference in how the answer is
handled in jcifs.
I can mount the share from windows without any problems from both
environments.

The test I make is.

----
1. String startpath = "smb://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/Sharetest/
2. NtlmPasswordAuthentication ntlm = new
NtlmPasswordAuthentication(domain,username,password);
3. SmbFile dir = new SmbFile( startpath, ntlm );
4. SmbFile[] files = dir.listFiles();
----

When I do the last line (listFiles) I get the following error back

jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Access is denied.
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:503)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:614)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:239)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:109)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:693)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doFindFirstNext(SmbFile.java:1847)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.list(SmbFile.java:1598)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.list(SmbFile.java:1478)
	at cifstest.cifstest.main(cifstest.java:53)
	at
)
	at
.java:25)
	at
com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:90)

Is there anyone who can help me with this ? I can do more debug tests if you
want more.

/James