[jcifs] kerberos debug tool

Asaf Mesika asaf.mesika at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 07:35:35 GMT 2008

Ooohh, the painful Kerberos issue, we've been dealing with here for the past
two months.

Here's what we've done to debut the IE and Kerberos issues:

*Step 1: Install WireShark on the client machine. *
This software will be able to monitor all http request and responses send
back and forth between your server, and between Active Directory and your
client machine.

Active directory filter: ip.port == 88 && http
Using this filter you will be able to see if IE requests a Service Ticket
for your application server, from the Active Directory.
If it does, and receives a "No such Service registed in Active Directory"
type response (from AD), you should do the following:
- Make sure you've used the fully qualified name of your application server,
when you've created the SPN in Active Directory (Usually done using
ktpass.exe utility). For example: appserver.ibm.com.
If it does, and receives a Service Ticket - then you've got a problem, since
I don't think it happened to us.

Well, no more steps to solve this issue (there are more, but related to
debugging the Kerberos Login Module by Sun).

Asaf