[jcifs] jcifs NtlmHttpFilter - random "Page cannot be displayed"

RicardoSanchez ricardo.sanchez at polarisworld.com
Fri Apr 4 11:30:04 GMT 2008

Hi,

I'm using jcifs-1.2.18e.jar in a jbosss-tomcat environment to provide sso
for a web site: users with internet explorer are automatically
authenticated. In a normal morning there can be 500 users accessing to the
site, with several visits.
Before, users had to type user and password, and I validated them against
the Active Directory LDAP. It worked ok, never had a problem.

As you know, the NTLM authentication works in three steps:
-Internet explorer sends request #1 without an NTLM header -> server sends a
401 response code with a ("WWW-Authenticate", "NTLM") header
-IE sends request #2 with an NTLM header -> server sends a 401 response code
with a ("WWW-Authenticate", "NTLM " + msg) header
-IE sends request #3 with an NTLM header -> server sends a 200 response code

The problem is the following: in the hours of maximum accesses, sometimes
when a user tries to access to the site, the #3 request is never sent. For
some reason, IE doesn't like the response to the request #2, and shows a
"The page cannot be displayed" error.

This only happens in "peak hours": many errors in busy days, no errors in
weekends or holidays.

I increased the log level but I can't find the problem: for some reason the
request #3 is not sent.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Ricardo