[jcifs] Exception when connecting to DFS share

Michael B Allen miallen at ioplex.com
Tue Sep 4 19:28:34 GMT 2007

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 12:34:31 -0500
<Eric.Mitchell at wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> Receiving an authentication exception "jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon
> failure: unknown user name or bad password" when attempting a List Files to
> a DFS share (smb://fqdn//dfs_share/).
>
> However when connecting directly to one of the shares referenced by the DFS
> object in active directory -  (smb://servername/dfs_share/) -  it is
> working.
>
> I am using jcifs-1.2.17 - has anyone else seen this behaviour and know how
> to correct it?
> Pulling my hair out here!

Hi Eric,

We recently made some very significant changes to the DFS code so I'd
really like to know precisely what you're doing. But in general your
descriptions is filled with ambiguity. Can you be more precise using
examples like server1.example.com server2.example.com. By "dfs_share"
do you mean a DFS root?

For example, the following URLs can provoke greatly different protocol
sequences:

smb://example.com/
smb://example.com/dfsroot/
smb://server1.example.com/dfsroot/
smb://server1.example.com/dfsroot/foo/
smb://server2.example.com/dfsshare/

The above assumes server1.example.com/dfsroot is the DFS root,
server1 and server2 are domain controllers in the example.com domain,
server2.example.com/dfsshare is a link in the DFS topology, etc.

Please be more specific,

PHP Active Directory Kerberos SSO