[jcifs] Network name no longer available

Michael B Allen miallen at ioplex.com
Fri Nov 16 16:31:51 GMT 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:58:25 -0500
Jake Goulding <goulding at vivisimo.com> wrote:

> All:
>
> Every so often, on a long crawl, we will get intermittent errors that say:
>
> The specified network name is no longer available
>
> I assume that this is being passed directly from the system, and that it
> means what it says, but I wanted to check with the list to see if
> there were any other meanings associated with it.

Hi Jake,

Yes, that error is coming directly from the server. JCIFS only emits one
NT status code artificially which is NT_STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION when it
detects that the credentials being used were supplied by the NTLM HTTP
Filter (which is not applicible to you).

Chances are, you collected info on the share in an eariler pass and it
has since become inaccessible for some reason (e.g. someone unshared it).

To minimize these sorts of scenarios it can help to do Breadth First
Search (as opposed to Depth First Search) and use a working set that
is as small as possible (e.g. no larger than the contents of any one
directory per thread).

PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO