[jcifs] Transport1 timedout waiting for response to SmbComSessionSetupAndX

Dave Haworth dhaworth at widen.com
Fri May 4 15:04:16 GMT 2007

Hello,

I am running a job that uses JShellLink to create windows shortcuts
locally for files that are sitting on a remote server and then will use
jcifs to copy the shortcuts out to the remote server. I know this seems
a little odd, but I can't create the shortcuts using an smb url as the
destination path so I'm limited to a create then copy. This actually
mostly works, except for one thing. I'm doing this copy (plus checking
if the folder I'm moving the shortcut to exists and creating it if it
doesn't) thousands of times during the course of the job and a couple
hundred of the shortcuts never make it out to the server and throw the
following error:

jcifs.smb.SmbException:
jcifs.util.transport.TransportException: Transport1 timedout waiting for
response to
SmbComSessionSetupAndX[command=SMB_COM_SESSION_SETUP_ANDX,received=false
,errorCode=0,flags=0x0018,flags2=0xC003,signSeq=0,tid=0,pid=38283,uid=0,
mid=9496,wordCount=13,byteCount=129,andxCommand=0x75,andxOffset=190,snd_
buf_size=16644,maxMpxCount=10,VC_NUMBER=1,sessionKey=0,passwordLength=24
,unicodePasswordLength=24,capabilities=4180,accountName=collective,prima
ryDomain=WIDEN.COM,NATIVE_OS=Windows 2003,NATIVE_LANMAN=jCIFS]
at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.sendrecv(Transport.java:76)
at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:606)
at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:277)
at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:233)
at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:154)
at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:798)
at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:768)
at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.queryPath(SmbFile.java:1195)
at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1277)

It appears that it's running out of ports to connect to and it seems the
error always happens while checking to see if the destination folder
exists. I've increased both the responseTimeout and soTimeout properties
in the configuration to twice their default values using
Config.setProperty, but the results seems the same. I'm pretty new to
jcifs, so there's a chance I'm missing something obvious. If anyone has
any thoughts on what I might try it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave Haworth