[jcifs] JCIFS NTLM: When I connect with VPN, NTLM does not log in to the application.

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Mar 6 02:31:50 GMT 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:12:08 -0600
"Todd Patrick" <Todd.Patrick at dtn.com> wrote:

> I am building an application running on an application server on X
> domain. When I am at the office, I can use the application (of course)
> without any issues.
>
> When I log in from home over VPN, I go to the application - it provides
> the username and password dialog box. After I fill in my credentials,
> then the browser times out after 35000.
>
> I *think* the reason I can't log into my application over VPN is because
> my home workstation is not a part of the domain?
>
> Can I simply add the domain information as noted under
> "jcifs.smb.client.domain" to my workstation to get this to work?
>
> How can I get my home workstation to work as if I were at the office?

I'm not sure what the problem is exactly but you definitely need to be
logged into the domain. Otherwise, what credentials would the browser
send?

In this situation you probably need some kind of form with Username:
and Password: that you explicitly feed to SmbSession.logon. The NTLM
Filter provides a pretty bare bones solution. In practice, I surmise
people probably need to modify it to handle all of their needs.

PHP Active Directory SSO