[jcifs] Re: ACLs - SmbException: Incorrect function

Thomas Bley thomas.bley at simple-groupware.de
Wed Jun 27 01:31:29 GMT 2007

Hello,

I have the same problem. Here is what I found out so far:
When Windows explorer is the client, it starts the DCERPC with the
command "Write AndX" (0x2f).
When JCIFS is the client, it starts DCERPC with "TransactNmPipe" (0x0026).
Windows servers and Samba understand the TransactNmPipe very well, but
for some reason NetApp doesn't.
My tests were made with a NetApp FAS3050; OS-Version Ontap 7.1.1.

If the error is happening, jCIFS falls back to NetShareEnum methods
which resolve share names, but without unicode characters and only up to
12 characters in length.
Maybe it is an older method which requires some compatibility setting
enabled in the NetApp machine (maybe sth. like enable WindowsNT
compatibility, enable namedpipe rpcs, etc.). Do you have any idea or
maybe you can even ask the NetApp support for this ?
(if required, I can provide some Ethereal traces)

bye
Thomas