[jcifs] JCIFS ignoring WINS properties and only performing broadcast requests

Abhinay Mehta abhinay at netusage.net
Wed Jul 11 15:39:34 GMT 2007

Hi all,

This is my test code:

       jcifs.Config.setProperty( "jcifs.netbios.wins", "192.168.1.8" );
       jcifs.Config.setProperty("jcifs.resolveOrder", "WINS,DNS" );

       try {
          String hostName =
UniAddress.getByName("192.168.1.10").getHostName();
          System.out.println("Host Name = " + hostName);
       } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
          e.printStackTrace();
       }
    }

I am doing TCP DUMP and am seeing that only broadcast requests are being
sent, why so?

I would very much appreciate it if someone could point me in the right
direction.

I was reading UniAddress' source code and noticed that in UniAddress'
getByName method there's a method call to isDotQuadIP, and as far as I
can see, that method forces all IP address requests to perform broadcast
requests. Is that right?

Thanks for any help people.

Regards,
Abs