[jcifs] Issues with lmCompatibility and NTLMfilter

Gidado-Yisa Immanuel gidado at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 22 14:06:02 GMT 2007

I meant to write in my earlier post that following properties were set:
jcifs.smb.client.domain, jcifs.netbios.wins.

> From: Eric Glass
>
> >  Now these flags are defined in NtlmFlags.java, but are never used
> > throughout jcifs.  In fact, the flags segment is constructed from
> > Type2Message.getDefaultFlags() which knows about 4 or 5 flags
> altogether.
> > My thinking is that with lmcompatibilitylevel=4, IE wants to do NTLMv2,
> but
> > it does not see any of the appropriate flags returned in the type2
> message,
> > and quits.  Will returning these flags help IE to complete the
> negotiation
> > and send the type3 authorization?
> >

> There is nothing in the NTLM handshake that indicates whether the
> server accepts/supports NTLMv2 authentication (NTLM2 key indicates if
> NTLM2-style signing/sealing is supported, but that is independent of
> LMv2/NTLMv2 authentication).  If there is an incompatibility on that
> level, you would typically see a Type 3 response and then a failure on
> the backend.
>
> Look under the following key in the registry (on the client desktops):
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\MSV1_0
>
> There should be two values under there, NtlmMinClientSec and
> NtlmMinServerSec; what are the values of these in your environment?

ntlmminclientsec: 0x20080030
ntlmminserversec: 0x20080030

Does this mean that my IE client needs a) Negotiate 128, b) Negotiate NTML2
key, c) Negotiate Datagram Style, and d) Negotiate Sign flags set?  Is it
worthwhile hacking the code to get jcifs to return these flags to IE in the
challenge?

> If the client is not responding to the challenge, that typically
> implies that it is not satisfied with the NTLMSSP context that has
> been established; this registry setting specifies the set of
> "mandatory" flags that the host will demand when acting as a client
> and a server, respectively.  If you specify 0x00000000 for both, it
> should effectively be "wide open"; that may get you a bit further.

I tried it again with lmCompatibility=4 and this is what I got:

  Negotiate:
    - flags: 0xa208b207

  Challenge:
    - flags: 0x00810205
    - Domain NetBIOS Name: OD
    - Server NetBIOS Name: JCIFS222_53_66

  Response:  -- no response --

> With LMCompatibilityLevel set to 4, however, you will also need to (in
> the filter configuration) set "jcifs.smb.lmCompatibility" = 4.  This
> will allow jCIFS to appropriately handle the NTLMv2/LMv2 Type 3
> response from the client (once it starts receiving them).  At that
> point you can start troubleshooting compatibility between jCIFS and
> the backend domain controller.

I guess the lmCompatibility in the filter does not really matter until I get
a response.

- Gidado