[jcifs] MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: smb

Armel T. Nene armel.nene at idna-solutions.com
Thu Jan 4 10:18:06 GMT 2007

Hi guys,

I have been using jCIFs for the past days to develop a plugin for Nutch (the
Open Source search engine) to crawl windows shares directory. I set-up and
installed the plugin but when I am running the application, I get this
java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: smb. This is how I set up
the smb environment:

1.	The URL syntax is as follow: smb://server/share/ and the properties
are loaded from a property file.
2.	The java system property has been set as follow:
-Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=jcifs passed to the JVM when the program is
launched.
3.	I use ANT to run the application, therefore ANT will load all the
necessary classes needed by the application to run.
4.	The application is not run from a container as it is a standalone
application therefore I do not think I will have any security permission
problem, nevertheless bullet 2 should fix that problem.

I don't know what the problem is as I read the FAQ and follow all the
instructions to the word and still can't have it to run properly. Also I
tried to set the JAVA system property as follow
-Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=jcifs.smb.Handler
(-Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=smb) but not luck either. Can someone help me
out with this, as I'll share the plugin code with the Open Source Nutch
community.

I'll be waiting for reply.

Best regards,

Armel Nene