[jcifs] UnknownHostException

Kimberly Ennis kletco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:05:07 GMT 2007

We only specify jcifs.smb.client.domain, we do not specify a WINS server.
When connecting using jCIFS if one of our two domain controllers goes down,
users are kicked out of the system and no new users can get in - they see a
"java.net.UnknownHostException: Failed to negotiate with a suitable domain
controller for DOMAIN".  My understanding was that when one of our domain
controllers is down, the system should fall back to the second domain
controller.  This does not appear to be the case.  When we restart
websphere, the problem goes away.  I am assuming this is because the domain
controller list is refreshed at that point.

I am using jCifs version 1.2.9.  Would an upgrade fix this issue?