[jcifs] MSRPC

Josh Cooper josh.nw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 00:27:50 GMT 2007

I need to launch processes remotely on Windows from Linux.  I've read
the other posts about using atsvc, psexec-like approach, or WMI.

I've been able to use j-Interop to launch processes via WMI+DCOM, but
I'd like to avoid DCOM if possible.

So my question is whether I could instead use MSRPC directly to access
WMI remotely?  If I understand correctly, I'd need to create the IDL
for the one or two WMI interfaces I need, e.g. ISWbemServices, use
midlc to generate the java stubs, write a test client, and compare the
ethereal dumps with a "real" client?  Has anyone else been down this
road before?

Thanks!

Josh