[jcifs] Kerberos - Access is denied

cesar at clazaro1.jazztel.es cesar at clazaro1.jazztel.es
Thu Aug 30 18:06:34 GMT 2007

Hi there,

I'm using the Jcifs' Kerberos implementations for crawling some SMB fileshares.
The code is based on the Kerberos example that is present in the Kerberized
Jcifs 1.2.13 release.

The users are properly authenticated thru their own Kerberios ticket accessing
the documents if they have access to, but after some time these users can not
access to the same documents as an SmbAuthException with the message "Access is
Denied" is thrown, although these users still have rights to access to the
document. This problem happens intermittently as I can see an "Access is Denied"
message when a user access a document and few seconds after the user could be
perfectly able to access to it.

This is weird. I think the source of these problem is due to some kind of
contention that locks the access to the document but the kind of message is
confusing. I've read the messages on the list related to this issue but none of
them talk about this issue with Kerberos. I've changed the value of the
following attributes as some of these posts on the list recommend:

* jcifs.smb.client.ssnLimit = 1
* jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout = 500
* jcifs.smb.client.signingPreferred = false

I've tested the whole combination of different values for these parameters with
no success. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Cesar.