[jcifs] Infinite loop of error messages

Christophe Bouthier Christophe.Bouthier at inpl-nancy.fr
Thu Sep 28 17:58:16 GMT 2006

Hello,

We are using the jcifs (version 1.2.7) in a uPortal channel (uPortal
is a java portal for education). Since a few days, we get from times
to times our logs files filled with this error message:

jcifs.util.transport.TransportException: Invalid state: 2
         at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.disconnect(Transport.java:
205)
         at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.loop(Transport.java:124)
         at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:242)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

And when I say filled, it's filled unitl the partition is full. The
only solution we have then is to delete the log file and restart the
portal.

After searching on google, we have found only one reference to this
kind of error, but it was when someone interrupted the connection.
Here, the code calling the jcifs lib is not ours, but checking it we
didn't found any interrupt() references.

Does someone has already got this kind of problem ? Can someone gives
us a clue or a hint to start searching ?

  After reading the source code of the jcifs.util.transport.Transport
class, it seems that in the loop method, if an exception is raised,
the exception is logged in the log file, but without leaving the
loop. (This is the reason why it's filling the disk partition). Is it
a normal behaviour ? Why not leaving the loop if an exception is
raised ? Especially if it is this exception
(jcifs.util.transport.TransportException: Invalid state: 2) ?

Also, what is the difference between the "run connected" (2) state
and the "connected"  (3) state ? Why is it an error to disconnect
when in the "run connected" state when it is not in the "connected"
state" ?

Thanks a lot to everyone that could help us.
And sorry for my bad english.

Christophe Bouthier
CRI INPL
Nancy, France.