[jcifs] Strange error: BYFP0001

darren.taft at bt.com darren.taft at bt.com
Thu Sep 21 16:15:14 GMT 2006

>>> java.net.UnknownHostException: BYFP0001 <snip>
>>>
>>> Anyone got any idea where BYFP0001 is coming from?  It's certainly
>>> not a path on our network.
>>
>> Double check your code. JCIFS is being told that it's a hostname. If
>> it's not a hostname then your code is wrong. If it is a hostname then

>> your name resolution isn't configured properly.
>
> There's no room for error in the code.

<snip>

However there is room for error with my understanding (apologies!).
Having spoken to the network guys, I've found that there is a server
called BYFP0001, but it isn't WINS registered.  I've had the server
configured to add a DNS search suffix so that it can now find this
server.

It's now left me with a new issue:

jcifs.smb.SmbException: Unable to establish connection with byfp0001
jcifs.util.transport.TransportException
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
	at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.readn(Transport.java:29)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.ssn139(SmbTransport.java:189)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.negotiate(SmbTransport.java:236)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.doConnect(SmbTransport.java:298)
	at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:223)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

	at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:239)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

I get this error 99% of the time, however it works occasionally, and
continues to work for up to a minute before then failing for an extended
period of time again.

This error only occurs when I run the code from the UNIX server (as
opposed to the Windows one that I write the code on), and it only occurs
when connecting to 2 specific machines.

I'm unable to run a trace between the 2 machines (as I don't have the
necessary privileges), so I'm stuck as to what else I can do.  Do you
have any suggestions (based upon the capabilities/switches that jCIFS
has) on what I can do to get further details on this problem?

I'm not expecting anyone to specifically know what's wrong here, but I'm
hoping that someone has maybe experienced something similar, or can
think of something that could be causing this?

Cheers,

darren