[jcifs] jcifs-1.2.9 with SSN_LIMIT=1

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Oct 25 23:58:29 GMT 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:50:06 +0200
"Waldheim, Frank" <F.Waldheim at ing-diba.de> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> we encounter a problem with jcifs-1.2.9 (without kerberos)
> accessing our windows 2003 server DCs (which require signing).
>
> we sucessfully used jcifs with preauthentication but had a problem
> with passwords that where (or have to be) changed.
>
> thats why we tried the other suggested solution with SSN_LIMIT=1.
>
> In this case even the first access fails:
>    NtlmHttpFilter: DOMCOMPANY\userid: 0xC0000005:
> jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Invalid access to memory location.
>
> we investigated three issues concerning the SSN_LIMIT=1 problem
>
> 1) SSN_LIMIT = 1 - getTransport
>
> as already stated one year ago in:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.samba.java/4989/focus=4989
> the mechanism of creating transports and finding them again seems to be
> broken.
> therefore a new transport is created for logon and the DC is not happy.
>
> like stated in the patch above one can fix the logic in
> SmbTransport.java to find the
> instance in CONNECTIONS even if SSN_LIMIT=1 by removing the first if
> clause.

I'm not sure I understand this post but the patch mentioned in that post
was applied.

Also, a new transport is *supposed* to be created for each new session
if SSN_LIMIT == 1.

SSN_LIMIT basically means "the maximum number of sessions permitted on
a transport" and that any additional sessions over that limit will use
a new transport. Therefore if SSN_LIMIT == 1 then one transport will be
created for every session.

Note: If this sounds like a horrible waste of resources it is and as
such it's not recommended.

Are you saying you found a bug? If so, can you describe it in simpler
terms? I'm not sure I'm following all the logic. What is the sequence
of events that cause a failure and what is the failure?

Mike

PHP Active Directory SSO