[jcifs] Speed please..

Patrick Cerri robogiant at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 11:25:19 GMT 2006

Hi Mike,

Just downloaded latest version and Socket Bind issue resolved.. cool.

Please can you now help me find out why the most I can download of an online samba server is 1Mbps - 3Mbps ?

On the internal work network I get ridiculously fast speeds using JCIFS, it's only when going over the internet.

It's basically 10% of the overall speed of the line..

I have played with the settings at both the client and server ends.

I have setup an example - the username and password are valid for now...

You can test this file - its 10MB.

The most I can get is 3.2 Mbps, but my actual connection is 24Mbps...

I can download at those speeds over HTTP on the same server.

public static void main( String[] argv ) {
        try {
            SmbFile sb                  = new SmbFile("smb://yoyo:yoyoyoyo@88.208.201.61/homes/home/wrong.mov");
            SmbFileInputStream in = new SmbFileInputStream(sb);

            int c;
            long counter = 0;
            byte[] buf = new byte[16384];
            long timenow = System.currentTimeMillis();
            while ((c = in.read(buf)) > 0){
                counter     += c;
                long time   = System.currentTimeMillis()+1;
                int tsecs   = (int)(time - timenow) / 1000;
                float speed = ((float)counter / 100000) / tsecs;
                System.out.println("Read : "+counter+" in "+tsecs+" secs @ ~"+speed+" Mbps");
            }
        } catch (MalformedURLException ex) {
            ex.printStackTrace();