[jcifs] How to get jCIFS to always prompt for username and pa ssw ord?

Greg Schroder SchroderG at teldir.co.za
Wed Nov 1 07:51:58 GMT 2006

Thanks for your reply Mike

We have tried a few different variations in web.xml.

It seems the problem is with the domain config, because on our one server
specifying a wins
server and the domain authenticates just fine, with the DC it doesn't. On
the other server
neither works.

Any ideas what could be wrong with our domain config? We outsource the
helpdesk department
and they claim nothing has changed since the errors began.

    <filter>
        <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
        <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
            <param-value>172.?.?.?,172.?.?.?</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
            <param-value>domainname</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.username</param-name>
            <param-value>petrus</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.password</param-name>
            <param-value>padda</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </filter>

If we specified a domain controller along with a username and password, it
only works for
the first login, thereafter it pops up with a login window, where no login
works.

    <filter>
        <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
        <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
        <!--<init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>
            <param-value>172.?.?.?</param-value>
        </init-param>-->
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
            <param-value>domainname</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.username</param-name>
            <param-value>petrus</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.password</param-name>
            <param-value>padda</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </filter>

When specifying a domain controller, we tried using a non existant account,
and didn're receive
any error with authenticating with the domain controller in order to
authenticate the user
accessing the page. (Hope I'm making sense here).
What is happening here since even though we specified an invalid account for
contacting the
DC, it still pops up and tries to authenticate the user without giving any
other error. I
expected some sort of authentication failure from the DC?