[jcifs] HTTP 500 Errors trying to use NTLM authentication with domain users

Edward Costello edward.costello at orionhealth.com
Thu May 25 04:27:38 GMT 2006

I doubt this is actually a problem with JCIFS, but I'm curious whether
anyone has seen something similar.

We've got a .NET web service we're trying to connect to from Java. This
is set up in IIS using integrated windows authentication (NTLM
authentication). We're using JCIFS to authenticate from the Java client
we've prevented the Sun NTLM running by changing the os.name system
property to something other than windows

We're seeing the following behaviour:
When trying to connect using a user that is local to the box running the
web service, everything works fine. However, when we attempt to use a
user from the domain we get a HTTP 500 status back from IIS. This
happens regardless of  whether we specify the domain/username/password
using system properties, jcifs.Config or directly in the URL (replacing
the back slash between domain and user with %5C).

As I said, I don't believe this is a JCIFS problem since we get the same
results using the Sun NTML authentication and even from Mozilla Firefox.
Annoyingly internet explorer seems to work fine with both local users
and domain users.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Cheers
--
Orion Logo* Edward Costello
Software Engineer*

H 2nd Floor, Orion House, cnr Enfield & Mary St, Mt Eden, PO Box 8273,
Auckland, New Zealand
(+64 9 638 0600 7+64 9 638 0699
*edward.costello at orionhealth.com
<mailto:edward.costello at orionhealth.com> ýwww.orionhealth.com
<http://www.orionhealth.com>

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the person to whom
it is addressed and may contain privileged, proprietary, or other data
protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
addressee or the person responsible for delivering this to the addressee
you are hereby notified that reading, copying or distributing this
transmission is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please telephone us immediately and remove all copies of it from your
system. Thank you for your co-operation.