[jcifs] File naming problem

Thomas Bley thomas.bley at simple-groupware.de
Fri Mar 24 17:59:17 GMT 2006

Hello,

File and directory names encoded in utf-8 always worked for me (no
problems with the length).
Problems are shares with special characters in the name and long share
names with more than 12 characters:
Using Cp850 worked for German Umlaute in share names in jCIFS, but of
course not for russian characters (e.g. I configured a share name with
"abc" tpyed using a russian keyboard layout.). I did not modify Samba
or Windows 2003 configuration.
My code was:
System.setProperty( "jcifs.encoding", "Cp850" );

I found out that unicode share names are differently handled in Samba
and Windows 2003. For both the client WindowsXP has no problems
reading and accessing the unicode share names. When using jCIFS
(latest release) the unicode characters get stripped out or encoded in
a wrong way, so you can't access its contents with getCanonicalPath
(I'll try to get it clear which behaviour happens in samba and which
one in win2k3 and send a dump).

My solution is to create a second share with an us-ascii name <13
characters. Some have automatic homeDirs named by usernames as shares
(e.g. usernames like "administrator" are too long): They can be
accessed by reading the homeDir out of LDAP or define a wildcard in
the webdisk configuration.

Best regards,
Thomas