[jcifs] DFS and NetworkExplorer

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Jun 28 17:11:04 GMT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:11:51 +0100
"Mike Streeton" <mike.streeton at ardentia.co.uk> wrote:

> Does Network Explorer work with windows DFS  file systems, we are trying
> to access one, but keep getting unknown host, what was confusing us was
> the virtual dfs server is the same name as the domain. So it now appears
> to be accessing the right virtual machine, but not allowing access, any
> ideas?

We have seen problems with DFS in general. Traditionally DFS works by
checking a flag when connecting to a drive and then based on that query
the server for a referral. But there seems to be a mode of operation where
Windows clients obtain information about DFS through other communications
channels. It looks like smbclient deals with this problem by simply
performing the referral before even trying to connect to drives. Try
smbclient to verify that it's just a protocol error.

PHP Extension for SSO w/ Windows Group Authorization