[jcifs] NtlmHttpFilter causing NT User Lockout.

Geoffrey Hebert geofhebert at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 12:23:47 GMT 2006

Initially I can get into my application and get my NT UserID (this.getRequest().getRemoteUser();) and store the information in session.  My application is multiple pages of forms (POST).

  Somehow the NtlmHttpFilter causes an NT User Lockout.

  I am using IE and Windows 2000 with TomCat.

  Here is my filter:

  <filter>
      <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
      <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>

      <init-param>
          <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
          <param-value>eadsa10.mydomain.mycompany.com,eadsa11. mydomain.mycompany.com</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>
          <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
          <param-value>xxxx</param-value>
      </init-param>

  </filter>

  <filter-mapping>
      <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
      <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  </filter-mapping>

  This comment in the documentation makes me think that my additional forms my be creating the lockout – “negotiating NTLM HTTP Authentication once, IE will not POST any form data until it has negotiated the password hashes again.”