[jcifs] java.net.UnknownHostException: Failed to negotiate with a suitable domain controller for ********

Ghouse, Sherjeel Sherjeel.Ghouse at molex.com
Wed Jun 7 15:11:29 GMT 2006

We have jCIFS NTLM Authentication implemented for an Intranet site.
jCIFS is flawless majority of the time, but we are experiencing very
rare failures of the application if one of the Domain Controller pukes.
After investigations from the Network team, I found out that the DC
being used by jCIFS is primary and is constantly under load. Since we
are using WINS in web.xml, the first entry always returns the Primary
DC.

I did try the checkAllDC.java example for each WINS  in my web.xml and
the first WINS entry returns only primary DC. Under load if primary DC
is not available, alternate DC's are never attempted (i.e alternate WINS
are never queried). Please advice on work around for this situation.

Environment Info

jCIFS Version : 1.2.7

Application Server: WebLogic 8.1 sp5 on Windows 2003 Server

Domain Controllers : Windows 2000

Clients : IE 6.0.2

Web.xml :

<filter>
    <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
    <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
      <param-value>******</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
      <param-value>list of WINS</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.netbios.retryTimeout</param-name>
      <param-value>10000</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.netbios.soTimeout</param-name>
      <param-value>10000</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.util.loglevel</param-name>
      <param-value>1</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout</param-name>
      <param-value>40000</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.responseTimeout</param-name>
      <param-value>30000</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.username</param-name>
      <param-value>defaultUser</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.password</param-name>
      <param-value>*********</param-value>
    </init-param>
  </filter>

Thanks
Sherjeel Ghouse

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message (including any attachments) may contain Molex confidential information, protected by law. If this message is confidential, forwarding it to individuals, other than those with a need to know, without the permission of the sender, is prohibited.

This message is also intended for a specific individual. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or taking of any action based upon it, is strictly prohibited.

Chinese  Japanese

www.molex.com/confidentiality.html