[jcifs] Connection Timeout

Tony Thompson tony.thompson at stone-ware.com
Wed Jan 25 20:32:43 GMT 2006

I am using jCIFS 1.2.7 running against Samba (YAST says
3.0.14a-0.4-suse) on a SuSE Linux server.  I am having an issue that
appears to be the same as was reported here:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2005-December/005786.html

I only notice it failing after the connection has been idle for a while
(like the Linux server decide my client was done and should go away).
If I retry the request after it fails, it works.  I did a packet trace
of the failed attempt and the server is responding to the SYN request
and even part of the conversation starts but then the server doesn't
appear to respond with an SMB Protocol Response packet.  I am attaching
the packet trace (hopefully it makes it).

I have never noticed this happening with a Windows server so, I am not
sure if it is a Samba or a jCIFS issue.

Tony

BTW, here is the stack trace I get from jCIFS:

jcifs.util.transport.TransportException: Connection timeout
        at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.connect(Transport.java:177)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.connect(SmbTransport.java:286)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:129)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:792)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:762)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:660)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doFindFirstNext(SmbFile.java:1684)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.list(SmbFile.java:1549)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.list(SmbFile.java:1441)