[jcifs] timeout issue

Parker, Matt mparker at fcg.com
Thu Jan 19 15:36:47 GMT 2006

jcifs 1.2.7
HP-UX 11.0
java 1.4.2

I have implemented a simple test jcifs copy program to copy a file from a windows share drive to a UNIX server.

The copy works fine for a normal domain user account that has access to the share.  Every time I run it the copy works.

The copy is successful 1 out of 10 or 20 times for a the user account set up specifically to access the share.  The user is set up such that it can only connect to the network share from the UNIX server.

I have included the jcifs.netbios.hostname=<hostname.domain.com> setting it to hostname of the UNIX server.

I have also played with many other settings, but have been unable to get the copy to work more consistently.

jcifs.netbios.retryTimeout=20000
jcifs.netbios.soTimeout=30000
jcifs.util.loglevel = 3
jcifs.resolveOrder=DNS
jcifs.netbios.retryCount=5

I get the following error - even when loglevel is set to 3 the error comes back right away with only the java properties being displayed

Exception in thread "main" jcifs.smb.SmbException:
jcifs.util.transport.TransportException
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:173)
        at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.readn(Transport.java:29)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.ssn139(SmbTransport.java:189)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.negotiate(SmbTransport.java:236)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.doConnect(SmbTransport.java:298)
        at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:217)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
        at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:233)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.connect(SmbTransport.java:288)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:129)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:792)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:762)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open0(SmbFile.java:817)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open(SmbFile.java:846)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:69)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:62)
        at Get.main(Get.java:10)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

This email may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or attorney work product for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.