[jcifs] STATUS_BAD_DEVICE_TYPE why?

Erdei Bela ebela at freemail.hu
Thu Jan 5 22:50:36 GMT 2006

Michael B Allen wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:45:52 +0100
>Erdei Bela <ebela at freemail.hu> wrote:
>

>>Hy All!
>>
>>I have a question. What can cause this problem? Every time when i try to
>>connect to w2k share i got the following error: STATUS_BAD_DEVICE_TYPE.
>>What does it mean? How and where can i solve this problem? In linux box
>>or on the w2k machine?
>>Here is the tethereal dump:
>>
>>greet
>>bela
>>
>>User: WORKGROUP\administrator; Tree Connect AndX, Path: \\IS~SGA
>>  7.585060 192.168.70.12 -> 192.168.70.9 SMB Session Setup AndX
>>Response; Tree Connect AndX, Error: STATUS_BAD_DEVICE_TYPE
>>

>Could it be that there are Unicode characters in the share name? A tree
>connect should still work but note that listing shares with Unicode does
>not work. Try setting jcifs.encoding=Cp850. If the server is Samba you
>might get a better result. Otherwise you might see what's going on if
>you get a packet capture.
>
>Mike

No Unicode characters in the share name, just simple ascii chars. Here
is jcifs url:  smb://admin:pass@sga/sga/. It is very simple, i think. I
think the problem is in the w2k machine.
Can i change some property in w2k? Do you know? Because i don't have idea.
What does it mean: Path: \\IS~SGA. It is good? Why not this: Path:
\\sga\sga ?
I don't understand, bacause the java program can connect to more another
machine with same OS.
It is mystical.

bela