[jcifs] Re: NTLM http client uses Sun NTLM coming with JVM 1.4.2_10 instead of jcifs

Oliver Schoett os at sdm.de
Mon Feb 6 09:06:02 GMT 2006

Michael B Allen wrote:
> [...] it would be nice if there was a way to disable NTLM
> negotiation so that JCIFS can still work.

I am a bit confused by this sentence.  JCIFS on the server works
perfectly fine with a Sun JRE on a Windows Client in the vast majority
of cases:

    * If your Windows credentials are accepted by the server, you are
      logged in automatically.  This is the case that is important to
      compete with the Windows technologies in a corporate environment
      and probably covers >90% of users.

    * If your Windows credentials are not accepted by the server, the
      java.net.Authenticator is invoked, i. e., you are prompted for
      username/password as usual.  This probably covers another >5% of
      users.

    * The only problem occurs if your Windows credentials are accepted
      by the server, but you want to use a *different* user identity.
      This does not seem possible unless the automatic login by Sun's
      HTTP client can be turned off.  However, I consider this a rare
      case (<5%).

Regards,

Oliver Schoett