[jcifs] Re: STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

chris lumpkin clumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 15:29:29 GMT 2006

Mike,

Thanks for your response. I commented out some properties, and now instead
of "Invalid username or bad password", I'm getting "Access is denied".
Properties are:

#jcifs.http.basicRealm=VTIC.COM
#jcifs.http.insecureBasic=true
#jcifs.netbios.baddr=209.201.33.255
#jcifs.netbios.cachePolicy=1200
#jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout=300000
jcifs.http.domainController=209.201.33.8
jcifs.http.enableBasic=false
jcifs.netbios.wins=209.201.33.8
jcifs.smb.client.domain=VTIC.COM
jcifs.smb.client.password=xxxxxx
jcifs.smb.client.username=clumpkin
jcifs.util.loglevel=10

What I'm seeing in the packet captures is interesting. Apparently jCIFS
performs two authentication requests - one to establish that the app server
can do authentication by proxy, the second is the actual authentication of
the user with the NTLM token retrieved from the browser via HTTP header. I've
tried using a different account on my domain for the proxy authenticator,
using the same account that my machine is passing, and using none at all.
Nothing is working, and I'm at a loss. Whether I use the same account as the
machine I'm on, or I use another account, the initial authentication passes,
but the second one fails. I'm starting to suspect that jCIFS is not hashing
the password correctly. Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris